Florida beaches can be enjoyed year round. Different seasons bring different reasons for visiting the beach. Before you head out for the day, be sure to check beach conditions and be sure to bring plenty of sun screen.
1. People WatchAn all time beach favorite! Sit back and watch the world go by - at the beach you are guaranteed to see just about every body size and shape. Watch the cars drive by, beach bikes cruise along, joggers and walkers.
2. Catch Some RaysFor total relaxation, bring your lounge chair down by the water, away from the cars. Let the soothing sounds of the surf clear your mind. Feel the sun warm your skin and the pleasant breeze distance you from the world. Be sure to use Sun Protection!
3. Walk the BeachFor a little exercise or a change of scenery, walking the beach at some point is a must! Feel the sand beneath your feet as the water splashes at your ankles. Get lost in conversation with a friend or walk alone and catch up on your thoughts.
4. Play in the SurfWarm salty water is soothing and a wonderful way to cool off after sunbathing or a long walk. Unless you are a strong swimmer, I recommend staying in knee to waist deep water. Those unfamiliar with the ocean need to watch out for riptides and the strength of the waves.
5. Build a Sand CastleWith or without the kids, playing in the sand is a fun way to spend the day. Bring your shovel and bucket and be as creative as you can. Plan on you are guaranteed to strike up conversations with those passing by.
6. Cruise the BeachDriving on Volusia County beaches is a tradition that made Daytona the World's Most Famous Beach. Sections of the beaches are blocked off for pedestrians only, but these areas area clearly marked. So, roll down the windows, play your favorite beach tunes (for some reason, I've always liked to listen to Kansas?) and enjoy the scenery along miles and miles of shoreline. Be sure to obey all traffic laws and watch out for children that are are preoccupied with the sand and the surf.
7. Boogie BoardingOne of my all time favorite beach pastimes! Bring your bodyboard or rent one at the beach then head on out to the surf. Huge waves aren't necessary for a good ride, actually a small swell is all that is needed for a novice to have fun and ride a wave in.
Photos of the lighthouse.