HISTORY OF THE FRINGE:
Fringe Festivals began in Scotland in 1947 when groups not invited to perform at the Edinburgh Festival of the Arts staged their own "fringe" performances outside the festival boundaries. Fringe Festivals now occur all around the world, with true festivals continuing to be uncensored and non-juried and all performance ticket proceeds going directly to the artists.
ABOUT THE ORLANDO FRINGE FESTIVAL:
As the longest running, non-juried Fringe Festival in the country, the Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival which was created in 1992, celebrates the theatrical and performing arts as it showcases the skills and talents of performers from all walks of life. The performances, range from mild to wild, are uncensored and non-juried, staying true to the history and spirit of Fringe Festivals.
As a member of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals, the Orlando Fringe Festival follows four main "Fringe" ideals and principles:
- Participants are selected on a non-juried basis, through a first-come; first serve process, a lottery or other method approved by the Association.
- 100 percent of the ticket price goes directly to the artists.
- Fringe Festival producers have no control over the artistic content of each performance. The artistic freedom of the participants is unrestrained.
- Festivals must provide an easily accessible opportunity for all audiences and all artists to participate in Fringe Festivals.
HOW TO FRINGE:
The 2012 Orlando Fringe Festival will run from from May 16 to May 28th.
Ticket prices usually run between $5 - $10 per show. Since the proceeds go directly to the performers, they are the ones that set the ticket price for their show.
To attend any Fringe show, you must wear a festival access button. These buttons can be purchased for $8.00 before all shows. You only need to purchase the button one time, but you must have it with you for any shows that you attend.
WHERE TO FRINGE:
All Fringe shows will take place within Loch Haven Park at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and at the Orlando REP. The beer tent, food vendors and outdoor stage will be located in between these two venues. Loch Haven Park is located east of I-4 at Princeton Street and Mills Avenue (17-92).
RULES OF THE FRINGE:
For the performers, the rules are minimal, but for those attending there are a few guidelines that must be adhered to:
- Shows will start on time and once the doors are closed, entry is not allowed - a refund will not be given, so be sure to give yourself enough time for traffic, parking and any other unforeseen obstacles.
- Food and drinks are not allowed into any shows. A beer tent and food vendors are set up outside of the theater.
- No photography or video recording devices are allowed in to the theatres.
- You must have a Fringe access button to attend a show (except for the kids fringe).
There are shows, workshops, art projects, and activities that allow children to experience aspects of theatre, art and dance. Kids Fringe is free and does not require the purchase of a Fringe access button. These events are held on the lawn at Loch Haven Park on weekends during the Fringe Festival.
ORLANDO FRINGE FESTIVAL INFORMATION:
- Orlando Fringe Website
- Phone: 407-648-0077
- Fringe Address: 398 West Amelia Street, Orlando
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater: 812 E. Rollins Street, Orlando
POST YOUR COMMENTS: