Now is the time to prepare! We have all seen the grocery store lines that form, and the total chaos and panic that can happen when a hurricane warning is issued. This year, do yourself a favor prepare for the possibility of a hurricane now!
- 2012 Hurricane Names.
- Devastating hurricanes of 2004 and what we learned from them.
- A list of important items to have on hand once the power goes out for a few days.
- Save money this hurricane season! Florida Hurricane Sales Tax Holiday.
- Check your insurance coverage - do you have flood insurance?
- American Red Cross Disaster Supplies Kit.
- Plan for the worst and hope for the best - does your family have a disaster plan?
- Is your First Aid Kit complete?
- CNN tells you how to protect your home against hurricanes. The Orange County Office Of Emergency Management offers a Disaster Preparedness Guide.
- Do you know where to find the nearest shelter in case of evacuation? Call the American Red Cross at 407-894-4141 for the shelter nearest you.
- Category 1 - 74-95 mph winds
- Category 2 - 96-110 mph winds
- Category 3 - 111-130 mph winds
- Category 4 - 131-155 mph winds
- Category 5 - more than 155 mph
Hurricane Watch - Conditions are possible for a hurricane within 36 hours. At this point your hurricane preparations should be underway. Follow the news and radio for more information.
Hurricane Warning - A hurricane is expected within 24 hours. All hurricane precautions should be in place at this time. If necessary, you may need to start evacuation procedures.